Friday 21 November 2014

Slow Cooker Pho Ba (Beef Vietnamese Noodle Soup)

Pho is my FAVOURITE meal in the whole world - really. If I ever have a chance to go eat out by myself, I alway choose Pho, Indian is a very close second.

Last week I went for a lovely Pho lunch with a friend. She suggested that I post my homemade version, so I dug out the recipe I got from a Hoi An cooking school and made some updates so I could make it from things available here (with some searching), so here you are!

Pho is a labour of love and takes some time...so plan ahead! 


Pho Ba (Beef Vietnamese Noodle Soup)

3 lbs Marrow and Knuckle Soup Bones*
2 Onions, cut in half - leave skin on
1 fresh Ginger Root, about 4-5" long, cut in large pieces
5-6 Star Anise
1-2 Cinnamon Sticks
6 Whole Cloves
2 Whole Cardamom Pods
1-2 large chunks Rock Sugar** (to taste)
2-4 Tbsp Fish Sauce (to taste)
Sriracha or chili paste (optional)
Salt (to taste)

To get a nice clear broth, parboil soup bones. In a large pot, cover soup bones with water, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove bones and rinse with water. 

Add rinsed bones to the base of a large slow cooker and fill with water (about 8-10 cups) and cook on low for 8 hours. Skim off any impurities that float to the top.

While broth is starting to cook in slow cooker, place onion halves & ginger pieces on a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil in oven for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through until all sides are charred black. Remove outer charred skins and smash ginger flat to help release the flavour. Add ginger & onion to broth.

Combine anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom & rock sugar in a cheesecloth square. Tie in a little bundle and add to the stock. Add fish sauce, hot sauce and salt to desired taste.

Once stock has finished cooking, remove bones and seasoning pack. Strain broth through a fine strainer to remove any remaining impurities.

Serve piping hot over bowls filled with your favourite Pho ingredients:
Rice Noodles
Rare Beef (sliced thin will cook in the hot broth)
Bean Sprouts
Thai Basil
Cilantro
Lemon Wedges
Hoisin Sauce
Sriracha
Fish Sauce


This broth recipe freezes well.

Yum. I think I'm going to go make another bowl...all this writing is making me salivate!

~Adel~

* The marrow and tendons in these bones make the specific flavour of pho, regular soup bones don't seem to taste as good. Ask your butcher!
**Rock sugar is hard to find, I found mine at an asian market. You could just add regular sugar to taste instead, but it's not quite the same flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment