Monday 15 September 2014

Pepper Jelly

Sometimes a random act of kindness develops an addiction and inspires you to make something.

One day when Lady and Bug were about 1, we took a trip across the bridge to IKEA. As I was putting the kids in the car, I noticed the two ladies in the tiny little car beside me trying to stuff very large items in...unsuccessfully. Their frustration was evident and I could hear them 
talking about what to do. Here's me in my huge vehicle with my 2 little ones and lots of space, so I approached them and offered to help if they were going anywhere east (Ikea is about an hour's drive west of my house). Turns out they lived in the same town, just a few blocks from me and we traded information and I packed their excess home for them. The stroke of luck was the woman driving was the owner of a local condiment company, Marilyn's, and I had no idea. After delivering the goods, she brought me to her garage (which turned out to be a huge kitchen...DREAM!) and gave me one of each of her products. One of those was her red pepper jelly, for which I quickly developed an addiction.

Auntie Ladybug and I have been consuming large quantities of this red pepper jelly with our cheese platters and wine, so I thought I would try my hand at some of my own. Now I'll admit, it's not Marilyn's but it's pretty great!


Red Pepper Jelly

3 & 3/4 cups Red Peppers
1/4 cup Jalapeno Peppers (red ones if you can find them)
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Package of Pectin
5 cups Sugar

Chop Peppers in a very fine dice. Add peppers, apple cider vinegar and pectin to a large pot. Bring to a full rolling boil, constantly stirring. Add all sugar at once and return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2" of headspace. Clean rims, add lids and rings and can in a water bath canner for 5 minutes. Let cool for 24 hours. Refrigerate or reprocess any unsealed jars. Note: Jelly will take at least a day to become firm, turn upside down after the jar seals to prevent chunks of peppers from settling.

Try this with crackers, cheese, and wine for a great night with friends! Beautiful on baked brie and a lovely Christmas hostess gift.

~Adel~








No comments:

Post a Comment