Monday 21 July 2014

Simple Raspberry Jam

It's been a rough week in the Ladybug house, we're all tired and stressed. I needed a cooking outlet today - I've been so busy that blogging has been on the back burner and I can totally tell!

So, today we needed to get out and do something! Lady & Bug and I went to Maan Farms, which had a huge fire in their main building last week, to give them our support. We got a flat of raspberries and made some jam. 

I've been experimenting with jam recipes this year, trying to decide which one I like the best. Here's the one I used for raspberries today, it's a little more tart than the one I usually make, but I really liked it...the best part was that it is so simple! It doesn't even need Pectin. If you want to know more about the jam making process, see my post on Strawberry Jam or Apricot Jam.

Lady & Bug helped to mash the berries and scoop out the sugar into a bowl, but I wasn't brave enough to let them help with anything else yet, maybe next year!



Simple Raspberry Jam

5 cups Crushed Raspberries
1/4 cup Lemon Juice (optional)
1/2 tsp Butter
5-6 cups Sugar (depending on your desired sweetness)

Cook raspberries, butter, and lemon juice in a large pot until it reaches a rolling boil (can't be stirred down) - cook for 1 minute. Add sugar quickly and stir constantly until it comes back to a rolling boil. Boil for 3 minutes (watch your fingers!). Remove from heat and remove any foam on the top. Fill sterilized, hot jars 1/4" from top. Clean top of the jar well before sealing with lids. Boil in a canner for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let cool for 24 hours before putting away.

Happy Jamming!

~Adel~


Similar posts you might be interested in:








No comments:

Post a Comment