Monday 29 April 2013

Freezer Meals: Big Cook Spring 2013

It's the end of April and I finally ran out of my stash of freezer meals from the last big cook day. I'm already going crazy with the thought of having to do one more day of cooking at meal time, so it's time to do a Big Cook Day again! 

I didn't have a whole day to devote to cooking today, so I did the shopping first thing in the morning, then I had a few hours in the afternoon to get the bulk of the cooking done and managed to squeak in a few more meals while I made dinner.

It was a multi-tasking day today!

First....preparation! If you haven't already read it, check out my Preparing for a Big Cook post and the post of my last Big Cook Day.

I shopped before cooking, so I had a huge stack of meat sitting on the table that needed to be dealt with right away ...food safety is important!


I started with the easy roasts that just needed to be divided up and prepared a bit: Lamb Roast x2 (just stuck it with a bunch of garlic cloves to "marinade" while it freezes), and pork tenderloins with onions and rootbeer for Easy Rootbeer Pulled Pork x2. Then off to the freezer...

Then we moved on to all the chicken dishes. 


First I shredded the roasted chickens (super cheap & easy way to get chicken if you don't need breasts), and made Slow Cooker Chicken Stock (12 cups) with the left over bones...


...and Creamy Chicken Lasagna x2 with the meat...wrapped up & off to the freezer.


Then it was on to the dump & pour chicken dishes...Greek Chicken x2 & Orange Chicken x3...off to the freezer with them too! 


I took a break here because I had to take over care for Uncle Ladybug while Daddy Ladybug got ready for hockey. We went for a drive in the country and a walk in a the park for an hour, then it was back home to make dinner.


Uncle Ladybug kept a close, hungry eye on the Warming Chili (x2...one for dinner, one for the freezer + leftovers in individual servings) simmering on the stove while I made more chicken dishes for the freezer...



The Chili was delicious and the freezer is now full! Uncle Ladybug is off to bed and now I can put my feet up after a busy day...good thing the kids are visiting Nana & Papa Ladybug today!

How's that...18 meals plus chicken stock in 4 hours (including shopping) spread over the day. 

Yay! Now I can quit cooking for a while! 

~Adel~

Recipes used in this Big Cook Day:


For many more freezer friendly ideas for your Big Cook Day or to see what I made for any of my other Big Cook Days, check out my Freezer Meals page.















2 comments:

  1. That is awesome, Adel. I think back of all the years I struggled with what to make for dinner when I was working outside of the home and the kids were all still home. Happy we could look after the kids for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made some of these for my freezer meal day. Love the teriyaki chicken. Thanks for the great recipes, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete