Thursday 14 March 2013

The Best Butter Chicken Ever

Mmmm...Butter Chicken.

I am seriously addicted. Every time I make this dish I think that it is the best I've ever made. I could eat Indian food every day of my life and be perfectly happy. Bug loves this meal so much he has 3 helpings and Daddy Ladybug swears it's better than anything we had in India.




The Best Butter Chicken Ever

3-4 Chicken Breasts, cubed
2 Tbsp Tandoori Masala*
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

1 cup Butter, melted
1 Onion, diced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
680 ml (23 oz) can Tomato Sauce
3 cups Cream (half & half makes it lighter, but still thick)
2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala*
1/2 tsp. Tandoori Masala*
Cayenne pepper (optional if you want some heat)

*Tandoori Masala and Garam Masala can be found in your "ethnic" or asian isles at your grocery store. I use Hanif's Garam Masala Powder & Tandoori Masala. I find mine at the little Indian Market down the street (plentiful here, but perhaps not in every community!).



Cube chicken breasts and toss with 2 Tbsp Tandoori Masala, Flour & Vegetable Oil in a bag. Shake until coated. 

Stovetop Instructions: In a large skillet, cook coated chicken and onions until chicken is fully cooked, then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add butter, tomato sauce, half & half, and remaining spices. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Slow Cooker Instructions: Add floured chicken to the slow cooker. Combine melted butter, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and spices/seasonings together in a bowl. Pour on top of the chicken and stir well. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7 hours. Add cream, stir and cook for another 1/2 hour before serving.

Freezer Instructions: Coat chicken in flour mixture, add remaining ingredients EXCEPT cream to a freezer bag and freeze. to use, defrost in fridge for at least 24 hours and empty contents of bag into a slow cooker. Follow slow cooker instructions above.

I serve this with Basmati Rice made with whole cumin & peas, and Grilled Naan Bread.

YUMMMMMMM.

~Adel~








Disclaimer: this recipe is based on an amazing recipe I found online at allrecipes.com called Easy Butter Chicken. I've done some changes to make it the teeniest bit healthier, adjusted for my family's tastes and my process is slightly different (I think easier), but I have to give credit to such a great recipe for the inspiration. If you want to try the original version please do...it's amazing too!

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I tried this last night and it is seriously the best butter chicken I've ever tasted! I reduced the half & half to 2 cups, that's the only modification I made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the Easy Butter Chicken from allrecipes.com a bunch of time and was going to make it, but accidentally grabbed a 23 oz can of tomato sauce so this recipe worked perfectly. I also didn't have any cream, as I usually sub cream for evaporated milk, and had only 1 can of evaporated milk, so I used the 1 can plus 1 1/4 cups of milk + 5 tbsp of butter and it turned out great! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete