Sunday 24 March 2013

Paska (Easter Bread)


Yum. It's Paska day in the Ladybug house!

Paska has become an annual tradition since I was about 18 and moved to a city that is predominately of either Indian or Mennonite heritage. You can't escape the Butter Chicken & Daal and you can't escape the Vareniki & Paska. So rather than fight it, I've joined in and slowly learned to enjoy and cook these wonderful things.


It's almost Easter so that means it's time to make some Paska (Easter Bread). My favourite recipe is Lovella's Paska from Mennonite Girls Can Cookit's sweet and citrusy. I've also tried to make some other interesting versions..strawberry paska and coconut paska, both good, but Lovella's is still my favourite!


I grated my orange & lemon with a fine grater, then cut off the white part so it was just the juicy fruit left.



Then I wizzed up the grated peels & the fruit in my magic bullet.


Combined all my ingredients in a mixing bowl and added the flour until I had a soft dough, then let it rise.


Put it in loaf tins & let rise again.


Add the Frosting (recipe below) and sprinkles...the most important part!


I don't use Lovella's icing recipe, here's the one I use.

Paska Icing

1/2 cup Butter, softened
250g (8oz) Cream Cheese, softened
3 & 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Cream (or more to desired consistency)


So happy for the sunshine today.
Mmmm...Tastes like Spring!

~Adel~

No comments:

Post a Comment